Here are some interesting facts &
information on Miss World Beauty Pageant. Read the trivia on Miss World
and know these fun facts.
Miss World Trivia
Several interesting facts are associated with Miss
World Beauty Pageant. Since its inception in 1951, many intriguing
things happened and became part and parcel of Miss World saga. A number
of superlatives are associated with Miss World and make an interesting
- The winner of the first Miss World contest was Sweden's Kerstin
Hakansson, who was chosen from 26 contestants and received a cheque
for £1,000 and a pearl necklace along with the Miss World
title. Kerstin was the first and the last winner to wear a bikini.
- In 1967, Misses Finland, Denmark, Italy, Lebanon and New Zealand
were advised to take bed rest for health reasons. However, all of
them appeared in the line-up on stage.
- The shortest reign as Miss World was that of 18-year-old
Gabriella Brum of West Germany. She was crowned the thirtieth Miss
World in 1980 but resigned just after 18 hours.
- Eleven Miss World finalists have been Bond Girls. To assist James
Bond, casting directors across the world have looked at the Miss
- Three countries have successfully held the Miss World title for
consecutive years: Sweden in 1951 and 1952 United Kingdom in 1964
and 1965 India in 1999 and 2000.
- Elizabeth Chovinsky, the fourth runner-up in Miss World 1953, was
the only citizen of Monaco ever to make it to the finalists' line up
in a major international beauty pageant.
- Lynda Carter, USA, did not go beyond the semi finals in 1972.
However, thanks to a popular television series of the same name, she
became more popular than the winner Belinda Roma Green of Australia.
- Since its beginning in 1951, the Miss World pageant has
registered more than 3,500 national winners and currently receives
approximate 1 million entries per year across the world. It is the
most coveted title in global beauty pageants.
- Aishwarya Rai, the second Miss World from India, held the title
in 1994. That same year, another Indian, Sushmita Sen, was Miss
- From 1980 the contestants were judged on personality and
intelligence as well as looks.